Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Our Family's Collective Rebellion

image by: Richard Knott via:http://blog.prestonbailey.com/files/2011/07/Broken-Rules.png
Random Guy hates that he has to do book talks for school. Every month he has to read a different genre of book and do a different project about the book and talk in front of the class about it. This month was poetry. Random Guy hates poetry. I am not so keen on it myself. So I found a bunch of books at the library for boys and kids who don't like poetry. I found this book:

image: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mZojP%2Bb5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

We looked through the poems and Random Guy picked "Joy Sonnet in a Random Universe" by Helen Chasin, it went like this:

Sometimes I'm happy: la la la la la la la
la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la
la la la la. Tum tum ti tum. La la la la la
la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la.
Hey nonny nonny. La la la la la la la la
la la la la la la la la la la la. Vo do di o do.
Poo poo pi doo. la la la la la la la la la la
la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la
la la. Whack a do. La la la la la la la la. Sh-
boom, sh-boom. La la la la la la la la la la
la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la
la la. Dum di dum. La la la la la la la la.
la la la la la la la la. Tra la la. Tra la la
la la la la la la la la la la. Yeah yeah yeah.


Memorizing this poem wasn't too hard for Random Guy. It is indeed 14 lines like a sonnet should be, but it is full of random la-la-las and silly musical comments.  Since it technically follows the rules for the assignment, he thinks it's funny that he can use this poem to fulfill the requirement. He recited his poem the other day and got a good grade on his performance. He is very happy with how it turned out. He even says he likes poetry.

SensiGirl was supposed to write on lined paper for her Theraplay teacher, and she didn't like that she was being asked to do something she considered school work at Theraplay.  She started screaming about it, she was told" No screaming." The therapist wrote "Hi, My name is" on the paper and passed it to SensiGirl to fill in, this is what happened next:

image via: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjJ6-XorcrVIVBX7h7zARrWcye1YxHi8eyRslZ8LIDB9bcGPDcvTDnx4Jxav7qSpmUTTX12pBmRTjtnxdRDd8vNk0SqPP4F3KNGWUmTwQ9WLZyrjHapWXvvvaD5RQtE0qZWB3YCbNdXB1A/s1600/Angry-Faux-Daffy-Duck.jpg
AGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

SensiGirl didn't scream, she wrote" AGGGGGGGGGGGGG" instead. So she followed her therapist's request not to scream by writing a scream.

 I was upset with the neighbors attitude about Random Guy when NeighborBoy said Random Guy hit his friend. I contacted the neighbors and asked them to think about their child's role in the incident.  After not hearing anything for days, I was fed up, and I wrote about how Random Guy was hung out to dry. I guess you could say that day we collectively gave the world the finger and then went on with things. I am normally mild mannered, but sometimes it is just enough and I have to rebel. I guess my kids are that way too.

No comments:

Post a Comment