Friday, February 3, 2012

Have You Noticed Anything Different?


graphic from: http://sometags.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/douglas-adams1.jpg

Have you noticed anything different about Random Guy?
That was the opening question to my introduction to autism. I had noticed nothing unusual about Random Guy, aside from the fact that he didn't like to draw as much as I did as a kid. I chalked that up to being a boy thing or a temperament thing. Well, Random Guy was noticed being different in his ECFE (Early Childhood Family Education) class. We had been going for the last year and a half and he was closing in on three.
 They suggested tests and meetings and said he had a marked social delay.  My husband was incensed. He said that Random Guy was just like he was when he was little. There was nothing wrong with him and we shouldn't do anything that would label Random Guy. What we came to realize are the teaching methods, schools and teacher education have changed hugely since we were little.  I kept thinking that if we didn't follow through with this, they may label our boy anyway, at least as a trouble maker. If we agree to the testing and get the extra help we would have control over what was said and done about Random Guy in school.
Being who I am, I began to read tons of books about the subject of autism. I had already started reading the Your___ Year Old books. I went back and read them again.  Random Guy was not following the developmental patterned explained in those books. I began to read about atypical development;  I read so many books on autism, Asperger's syndrome, autism diagnosis and about misdiagnosed children I can't remember them all.  It has been seven years since they approached me about Random Guy's differences. Here are a few  of the books I remember and found helpful.

Quirky Kids: Understanding and Helping Your Child Who Doesn't Fit In- When to Worry and When Not to Worry by Perri Klass

Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults: ADHD, Bipolar, Ocd, Asperger's, Depression, and Other Disorders


The OASIS Guide to Asperger Syndrome: Completely Revised and Updated: Advice, Support, Insight, and Inspiration by Patricia Romanowski Bashe, Barbara L. Kirby

Quirky, Yes---Hopeless, No: Practical Tips to Help Your Child with Asperger's Syndrome Be More Socially Accepted by Cynthia La Brie Norall

The Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships by Temple Grandin, Sean Barron, Veronica Zysk (Editor)


No comments:

Post a Comment